Friday, March 09, 2012

Imagine

As I am getting older, I find myself thinking more of what is to come, either when I die, or when the Lord comes to find me. Yet, I am not sure it is just getting older; I do wonder if He is not getting closer, so close now that I can almost see His appearance. At any rate, such thoughts in my mind have led me to speculate much on what heaven will be like.

The song is titled, “I Can Only Imagine”, but would it not be more appropriate to title it, “I Cannot Begin to Imagine”? Paul tells us, “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” (1 Corinthians 2:19) Nothing has changed from what Paul told us two thousand years ago. We still have no idea of the depth and breadth of love that God has given us. In my most lucid moments I am but dimly conscious of my high estate—an estate that God tells us that angels long to look into. If I understand my Bible aright, I have been bestowed a gift of the mighty Holy Spirit, God Himself, who is going to dwell in me not just in this lifetime, but also in the eternity which is to come. Think of it! God in me! What is man that thou are mindful of him?

So while I know not what that life is going to be like, but I do know the God who is making it for me. I rather think He is delighting in His surprises for us, as well as surprising us in the timing of His Coming. I do trust Him. I expect to have much friendship when I get there; others who believe like me, who love Him, and with whom I will spend eternity. I know I will have sustenance for Revelation speaks both of the Tree of Life and of the River of Life. My God, my friends, and care for my basic needs. Perhaps that is all I need to know.

No comments: