Tuesday, February 14, 2012

John 19 9 to 16

9 And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer.
10 Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?
11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.
12 And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar.
13 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha.
14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!
15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.
16 Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.

Key Observation:
Who delivered Jesus to be crucified?

Devotion:
I find myself wondering about who delivered Jesus. I know that Annas has been fingered for being the mastermind, and it is altogether fitting that I could see this as Annas, and yet I know that there is more going on here than is easily seen. Is there perhaps a reference to Satan here? McGee would suggest not, “There are differences of sin and differences of judgment. Those who delivered Jesus to Pilate had the greater sin because they had more light than Pilate did. However, that does not exonerate Pilate at all. He is guilty.”

I accept that, but cannot help but wonder, where was Satan in all of this? Was He not trying to kill Jesus? Jesus has told us that he is a murderer from the beginning. He also said to the bad leaders that they were of their father the devil, and the works of their father will they do. Men conspired to put Christ on the cross; was it not at the behest of Satan? I know that I must remember the overall theme: no power is given men except that it is from above. In other words, it was the will of God that His Son would give himself up to be crucified. Somehow the immutable purpose and election of God works in harmony with the evil choices of Annas, and perhaps Satan.

I do wonder if Satan is not kept sort of out of the deed because Jesus does want us to know that He gave Himself willingly. Also there is really not a contest between good and evil, between Jesus and Satan; the Bible reveals the contest is so very one sided, and that the devil will be cast into the lake of burning sulfur. I do not know! If I had to guess, I would guess that the cross had somehow been part of the plan Satan had to rid the world of the Christ. I do remember that Satan entered the heart of Judas, and aided Judas in doing the betrayal. I think that somehow Satan figured that putting Jesus to death would end forever the problem, and clearly he did not foresee the resurrection, and the revealing of the mystery church.

McGee says, “Notice the dignity of the Lord Jesus through all this. Notice that He is not the one on trial. Pilate is forced to a choice. Will it be Jesus Christ or Caesar? The religious leaders are forced to a choice. Will it be Jesus Christ or Caesar? They make their dreadful choice, “We have no king but Caesar.” The day will come in the future when they will have to make another choice. Jesus Christ or the Antichrist? Friend, listen; every man must make his choice about Jesus Christ. He says, “He that is not with me is against me …” (Matt. 12:30). The minute you make a decision against Christ, you make a decision for “Caesar.””

It is very clear to me that Pilate wishes to release Jesus, believing Him to be an innocent man. There is no need to see any “faith” or conviction on the part of Pilate; he just does not want to be used by the Jews to kill an innocent man. Thus Pilate is guilty also, though not to the degree as those who conspired to put Him there.

I do see the sovereign purposes of God working somehow with the free choices of men, and against the constraining of Satan. The Scripture promises us (through Paul) that all things work together for good to those who love the Lord, and certainly I see that here. The immutable purpose of God was to send His Son to die for the sins of the world, yet in everything man and devil were conspiring to foul up the plan. God is so powerful that He takes everything we do and fits it into complete harmony with what He has said will come to pass. Nothing is able to confute His counsel. (Psalm 2) Satan, in all his rebellion, will only serve the plans of our God—but yet is fully responsible for evil, as the wicked Jewish leaders are also responsible. Don’t ask me how they harmonize! I just know God has presented them as both true, and it is our job to believe. This I will do, God willing.

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 103988-103992). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 103971-103973). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.


All the Way My Savior Leads Me

1. All the way my savior leads me;
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who thro' life has been my guide?
Heav'nly peace divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

2. All the way my Savior leads me;
Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for ev'ry trial,
Feeds me with the living bread;
Tho' my weary steps may falter,
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! a spring of joy I see;
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! a spring of joy I see.

3. All the way, my Savior leads me;
Oh, the fullness of His love!
Perfect rest to me is promised
In my Father's house above:
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
Wings its flight to realms of day,
This my song thro' endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way;
This my song thro' endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way.

Lyrics: Frances Jane (Fanny J.) Crosby

No comments: