Saturday, November 12, 2011

Psalm 146

1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.
2 While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.
5 Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:
6 Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:
7 Which executeth judgment for the oppressed: which giveth food to the hungry. The LORD looseth the prisoners:
8 The LORD openeth the eyes of the blind: the LORD raiseth them that are bowed down: the LORD loveth the righteous:
9 The LORD preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.
10 The LORD shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the LORD.

Key Verse:
2 While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.

Key Observation:
McGee: “The five psalms that conclude this great hymn book are all hallelujah psalms. Notice that they begin with “Praise ye the Lord” and end with “Praise ye the Lord, ” which means, of course, “hallelujah.” No longer do they tell anything of persecution or suffering; there are no prayers for help or deliverance from the enemy; there are no imprecatory prayers. The nignt of sin and suffering is over. Weeping is past and joy has come in the morning of the Millennium (See Ps. 30:5).”

McGee, J. Vernon (1990-01-30). Thru the Bible 1-5 (5 Volume Set) (Kindle Locations 52057-52061). Grupo Nelson. Kindle Edition.

Memory Verse:
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Devotion:

A millennial psalm. Notice that princes perish in a short time (v. 4). Only the help of God endures, for the psalmest tells us that he makes everything and is the keeper of truth. There are seven attributes the psalmest has of what the Lord does for us:
1) The Lord sets free the prisoners
2) The Lord opens the eyes of the blind
3) The Lord raises them that are bowed down
4) The Lord loves the righteous
5) The Lord preserves the foreigner, the alien
6) He relieves the fatherless and the widow
7) He frustrates the way of the wicked (turns them upside down)

Over all these attributes, the psalmest notes that the Lord will reign forever. Let everything that has breath praise His glory and majesty.

I notice by way of application, he has done all seven of these things for me, indeed, for all Christians. He has set me free. He has opened this blind man’s eyes, for I knew Him not until He called me. He will raise me up and death will have no victory over me. He loves me freely because the righteousness of Christ has been imputed on me. He calls us foreigners and tells us that we are but sojourners in this world, waiting for a better place. I have seen him bless the needy widow and the fatherless all of my life. Lastly He frustrates the way of the wicked in my life many times by turning aside the hearts of those who would do me harm. He has watched over me through the perils and temptations of life. I do praise Him. I will praise Him for all of eternity. “While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.”

His Eye Is on the Sparrow

1. Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav'n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He.
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

2. "Let not your heart be troubled," His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see.
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

3. Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free.
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Chorus:
I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Lyrics: Civilla Durfee Martin

No comments: