Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Psalm 87

1 His foundation is in the holy mountains.
2 The LORD loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
3 Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah.
4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon to them that know me: behold Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia; this man was born there.
5 And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the highest himself shall establish her.
6 The LORD shall count, when he writeth up the people, that this man was born there. Selah.
7 As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there: all my springs are in thee.

Key Verse:

2 The LORD loveth the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.

Key Observation:
The highest shall establish her. Christ, the Highest, has not yet established Jerusalem. Wait and see.

Memory Verse:
None

Devotion:
McGee reminds me: “I hear people today sing, “We’re marching to Zion, that wonderful city of God.” I am afraid that song is meaningless, because Zion is a geographical spot on this earth.” The good Lord loves Zion, or Jerusalem, and one day will return to rule the earth from there. That makes this psalm to be a millennial psalm, picturing the Lord’s rule, and the honor which will one day come to the city of Jerusalem.

It bothers me that so many people look at these Scriptures, the word of God, and want to mythologize or spiritualize these passages. The word of God is usually pretty clear. Is it not clear again that the Lord has a special place reserved for Israel? The church has not replaced Israel at all in God’s plan; what the church has done is postponed the fulfillment of God’s plans with Israel. Sixty-nine weeks were prophesied in Daniel against Israel, when they “should suddenly be cut off”. Two thousand years have passed suspending God’s promises so that the times of the Gentiles, or the mystery age of Grace, might be held. There is one week left prophesied against Israel. That week has yet to come to pass, though I believe we see early warning signs of it now. The world is gathering against Israel, the storm clouds are on the horizon, and the United Nations is apparently going to give recognition to the Palestinians next week. I am watching to see the Arab reaction. Will we soon see hordes of angry men threatening the very existence of this tiny, this least of nations?

As a Christian, I will wait on the Lord. He will prove to be true and righteous, fulfilling all of his promises. One day, in front of the whole world, He will declare Israel’s validity as a nation. He will forever give them deed to their property. Contrast Christianity with other religions. Are Christians fighting and killing and bombing others to secure the Holy Land? Nay! They are awaiting the God of all creation to speak, and perhaps, though the world knows it not, they are waiting also.


"I Know Who Holds Tomorrow"

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
And I don't borrow from its sunshine
'Cause the skies might turn to grey.
And I don't worry about the future,
'Cause I know what Jesus said,
And today I'm gonna walk right beside him
'Cause he's the one who knows what is ahead.
There are things about tomorrow
That I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.
And each step is getting brighter
As the golden stairs I climb.
And every burden is getting lighter
And all the clouds are silver lined.
And, over there the sun is always shining
And no tears will ever dim the eye
And the ending of the rainbow
Where the mountains, they touch the sky.
There are many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.
Yes I know who holds my hand.

No comments: