Saturday, September 10, 2011

Psalm 83

1 Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God.
2 For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head.
3 They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones.
4 They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.
5 For they have consulted together with one consent: they are confederate against thee:
6 The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites; of Moab, and the Hagarenes;
7 Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; the Philistines with the inhabitants of Tyre;
8 Assur also is joined with them: they have holpen the children of Lot. Selah.
9 Do unto them as unto the Midianites; as to Sisera, as to Jabin, at the brook of Kison:
10 Which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth.
11 Make their nobles like Oreb, and like Zeeb: yea, all their princes as Zebah, and as Zalmunna:
12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession.
13 O my God, make them like a wheel; as the stubble before the wind.
14 As the fire burneth a wood, and as the flame setteth the mountains on fire;
15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.
16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD.
17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:
18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Key Verse:
4 They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.

Key Observation:

Many peoples over the eons have tried to destroy this least of nations, Israel, yet out of Israel will come our deliverance.

Memory Verse:
18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Devotion:

According to McGee, this psalm has problems when scholars try to fit it into Biblical history. Like the previous psalm, it is a psalm written by Asaph, the last one. But if it was written by Asaph, even more than the previous psalms, it must be highly prophetic. I take the opinion that it is indeed from Asaph, a contemporary of David, and that there is nothing in the historical record that fits the subject of this psalm.

If taken at all literally, Israel is cut off by her enemies: “4They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.” Was Asaph allowed to see in the future down to a time of Jacob’s Trouble, which has not yet occurred? I think it probable.

This then is their end, their desserts for daring to lift their hands to extinguish Israel: “17Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:” And again: “18That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.” The day is coming, surely coming, and as we wait for it, let us wait in the power and strength of His Holy Spirit. I do not know about you, but me and my house, we desire to be found busy about the Lord’s business on that day.

Did I make a Difference?
I'm caught up in the push and shove The daily grind, burning time, spinning wheels
I wonder what I'm doing here
Day to day. year to year, standing still

Somewhere there's a teacher with a heart that never quits
Staying after school to help some inner city kids
A mother who's a volunteer, a soldier In the fight
I can't help'but ask myself when I lay down at night

Did I make a difference in somebody's life?
What hurts did I heal? What wrongs did I right?
Did I raise my voice in defense of the truth?
Did I lend my hand to the destitute?
When my race Is run, when my song is sung
Will I have to wonder, did I make a difference?
Did I make a difference?

I've been, working hard to make a living
And forgetting what true living is Taking more than giving, something's missing
Lord, how long can I go on like this?

There's a lonely old man down the street
And I should be ashamed I've never been to see him, I don't even know his name
There's kids without their supper in my own
neighborhood
Will I look back someday and say that I did all I could?

Did I make a difference in somebody's life?
What hurts did I heal? What wrongs did I right?
Did I raise my voice in defense of the truth?
Did I lend my hand to the destitute?
When my race is run, when my song is sung
Will I have to wonder, did I make a difference?
Did I make a difference?

When my race is run, when my song is sung
Will I have to wonder, did I make a difference?
Did I make a difference?
When my race is run, when my song is sung
Will I have to wonder, did I make a difference?
Did I make a difference? Did I make a difference?

No comments: