Friday, September 02, 2011

Psalm 75

1 Unto thee, O God, do we give thanks, unto thee do we give thanks: for that thy name is near thy wondrous works declare.
2 When I shall receive the congregation I will judge uprightly.
3 The earth and all the inhabitants thereof are dissolved: I bear up the pillars of it. Selah.
4 I said unto the fools, Deal not foolishly: and to the wicked, Lift not up the horn:
5 Lift not up your horn on high: speak not with a stiff neck.
6 For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south.
7 But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another.
8 For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup, and the wine is red; it is full of mixture; and he poureth out of the same: but the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall wring them out, and drink them.
9 But I will declare for ever; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
10 All the horns of the wicked also will I cut off; but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Key Verse:
7 But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another.

Key Observation:
McGee notes that verse 2 would be better translated: “For I will take hold of the set time, I will judge in uprightness.” The NIV seems to bear this translation out: “You say, I will choose the appointed time; it is I who judge uprightly.” The ESV is even plainer: “2"At the set time that I appoint I will judge with equity.”

Memory Verse:
9 But I will declare for ever; I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.

Devotion:

In yesterday’s psalm, I dealt somewhat with the problem of living in a wicked world. This psalm does continue that theme. I do love verse 2, for it proclaims that the Lord will come at the set time, and will judge uprightly. This event is the second greatest event since creation, the first being the advent of our Lord. Though He seems not to come, and mankind seems to wax more and more wicked, still the day is “set”. No one, not even Harold Camping, nor anyone else knows that day. Even the Lord himself told us that he did not know the day; only the Father knows that day, and it has been arranged and set before the creation of the world.

When you see the wicked prosper, think of the judgment, and know that God is returning to earth and that He is going to judge all men. The good news is that we can believe God and escape that judgment! “For God so loved the world”. Some will tell you that world does not mean world, and they wrest the scriptures to their own harm, for they are not believing the Word of God. “That he gave his only begotten Son.” God sent his Son; He delivered himself up for the cross, and it was not something he was compelled to do, but rather something he freely gave himself for. “That whosoever believeth on him should not perish.” Trusting and believing God is the only acceptable work of God. “But have everlasting life.” Life to enjoy before God that will last forever. This is the promise of God—have you believed it?

When we walk with the Lord
In the light of His word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will,
He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.


Refrain:
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

No comments: