Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Psalm 101

1 I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.
2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
4 A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.
5 Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.
6 Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me: he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me.
7 He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.
8 I will early destroy all the wicked of the land; that I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of the LORD.

Key Verse:
2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

Key Observation:
Who else could possibly accomplish the key verse other than our Messiah? This psalm is describing Christ’s coming earthly rule.

Memory Verse:
1 I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.

Devotion:

McGee says of this psalm: “It is all about Him again, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the King of righteousness and peace, and He is going to reign on this earth.” The psalm could be of no other for notice that: 1)He is wise (v.2) , 2) He behaves in a perfect way (v. 2), 3) He will have a perfect heart (v. 2), 4) He will not know wickedness (v.3), 5) He is not froward (contrary) (v. 4), He will watch over the faithful (v.6), 6) and He will cut off all the wicked doers from the city of the Lord (v. 7 & 8). I think it obvious that no earthly king could possibly accomplish these tasks save the Messiah. It therefore is prophetic and looks to the time Christ is reigning on earth.

Chafer, in his book on the kingdom, says: “The Bible revelation regarding the kingdom presents the purpose, process and final realization of divine government in the earth. This objective is the heart of the kingdom prayer: “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” I think it important to realize this vision of this psalm is given to Israel; it may fit Christians by application, but it is God promising to Israel that He will one day reign on earth. The kingdom prayer, so often recited in churches even today, is also a prayer taught to Israel. Our prayer is not for the kingdom to come; our prayer is to see our Christ return for us.

Origen was first responsible for allegorizing our scriptures, a despicable practice still maintained by many today in our churches. Prophetic psalms should be taken literally when possible, just as any other scriptures. I believe is the old adage: “When the simple sense makes the best sense, seek no other sense.” If Bible learners would follow this simple rule I believe they would be a lot closer to what God would teach them through His Word. Chafer remonstrates those who believe otherwise: “Accepted inferences of so-called Postmillennialism and Premillennialism as possible coexisting systems of interpretation constitute a serious challenge against the dignity and purpose of the Bible itself.”

I have many friends who are caught up in these false teachings. I think many start okay, but somewhere they stray off. Often the interpretations of the Bible are taught side-by-side, and students come away feeling that they can choose the interpretation that they are most comfortable with. If I want to be tough, I will choose Post-Trib. If I want to hope for mercy I will believe Pre-Trib. This is absolutely a false belief! Do you not know that God is truth? Freely He imparted the truth to us, and there are not several truths for us to pick and choose from; there is one truth, and it is the solemn obligation of every Bible reader (Christian, of course, for who can see into the Bible except the Spirit give him understanding) to read it carefully, noting who God is speaking to, and what might be the applications of particular verses to his life. I submit that there would be more agreement in churches if we were all wise enough to see the Bible as a cogent literal message to us.

Holy Bible, Book Divine

1. Holy Bible, book divine,
Precious treasure, thou art mine;
Mine to tell me whence I came;
Mine to teach me what I am.

2. Mine to chide me when I rove;
Mine to show a Savior's love;
Mine thou art to guide and guard;
Mine to punish or reward.

3. Mine to comfort in distress,
Suff'ring in this wilderness;
Mine to show, by living faith,
Man can triumph over death.

4. Mine to tell of joys to come,
And the rebel sinner's doom;
O thou holy Book divine,
Precious treasure, thou art mine.

Lyrics: John Burton, Sr.

No comments: