Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Psalm 30

1 I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.
2 O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.
3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
4 Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
6 And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved.
7 LORD, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.
8 I cried to thee, O LORD; and unto the LORD I made supplication.
9 What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?
10 Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me: LORD, be thou my helper.
11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;
12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

Key Verse:
2O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.

Key Outline:
1. v. 1-3 The Lord healed me
2. v. 4-5 Sing thanks
3. v. 6-10 God is sovereign and David forgot that
4. v. 11-12 Thanksgiving for answers

Key Observation:
David was evidently very sick and was healed of God.

Memory Verse:
5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.

(ESV) 5 For his anger is but for a moment,
and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.

Devotion:

Have you ever laid hands on someone and seen them healed? Have you ever been healed of the Lord? I sometimes wonder about we Californians. We seem to count so little in terms of the spiritual life around us- often it seems like first gear is the best we can do. William Carey long ago challenged us to expect great things from God and to attempt great things for God. Sometimes it seems to me that we are very very busy—doing neither.

I do not expect daily big miracles; perhaps I should. But Elijah had grand miracles only 8 times during his lifetime; Elisha, who prayed for a double portion of Elijah’s spirit, got 16. If you don’t believe me, count them. I do expect God to be in the little things of my daily walk with Him. He loves me, thinks about me, provides for me, and considers my needs. He even placed His own Spirit within my body to show me just how much He does concern himself with me. What a delightful inheritance I have! He even tells us somewhere in Psalms that precious in His sight is the death of His saints. He has planned for even those who have died, that they, and we, might live before Him for eternity. I do not see how He could show His love and grace towards us anymore. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life—and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever!

No comments: