Friday, July 01, 2011

Psalm 12

1 Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.
2 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.
3 The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:
4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?
5 For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.
6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
8 The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

Key Verse:
5 For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him

Key Outline:
1. v. 1-2 The petition
2. v. 3-4 The LORD will answer
3. v. 5 The LORD’s response
4. v. 6-7 The Goodness of God
5. v. 8 The reality of the wicked

Key Observation:
This is another psalm contending to the Lord for the righteous and against the wicked. It is Messianic, particularly in verse 5. “I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.” One day God will rescue us from the wicked, who amount to no more than a puff of air.

Memory Verse:

6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times

Devotion:
Psalm 73 reminds me of this psalm, for both are talking about the obvious prosperity of the wicked. David writes this psalm; Asaph writes Psalm 73. In this psalm, the Lord seems to speak to David, saying “For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise.” Asaph, in contrast, “enters the sanctuary of God and understands their final destiny.” Both psalms have a common theme: why do the wicked prosper?

J. Vernon McGee, in his commentary on Revelation, has this to say about the state of wickedness: “After almost a century of insipid preaching from America’s pulpits, the average man believes that God is all sweetness and light and would not discipline or punish anyone. Well, this Book of Revelation tells a different story!” I need to remember that God is going to set the world aright, and punish the wicked. All will not be allowed to continue in darkness. The judgments of Revelation will surely come. As Peter reminds us God is not slack concerning his promise, “but is not willing that any should perish”. Because His mercy endured to this generation I am thankful. I have found a Savior, and my family has found a Savior. Bless God for his patience!

McGee speaks of the awful problem of evil. Why does it exist? Why do we see suffering and death, even on the part of those who have been made righteous by faith? McGee notes: “I once read a book on the problem of evil. When I finished the book, we still had the problem of evil—the author did not solve it. It took him about two hundred pages to say what I can say in one sentence: ‘I do not know the answer to the problem of evil.’”

But I do know the problem of evil is answered when I get to heaven. I will have no more questions then, only praise to my God who by his mercy has saved us. “The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.”

No comments: