Saturday, June 25, 2011

Psalm 6

1O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
2Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.
3My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?
4Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.
5For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?
6I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.
7Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.
8Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.
9The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.
10Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

Key Verse:
2 Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.

Key Outline:
v. 1-7 The Petition
v. 8-10 The answer celebrated

Key Observation:
David is in a place where evidently his sufferings are eliciting the scoffing of the wicked. His soul feels empty, bereft of the presence of God, and David cries out for the company of his God. His cries come from deepest needs, perhaps sickness or illness, but more likely because he was promised many mercies of God, but is in an “oppositional environment” that suggests, at least to his scoffers, that God is not blessing him.

Memory Verse:
9 The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.

Devotion:
David’s soul is vexed to the point of desperation. Remember that David spent many years being hunted by Saul, fighting with the enemies of Israel, and even feigned madness once to escape a king. Not the David that fought Goliath! Not the David that Samuel anointed to be king over Israel! Instead he found himself running through the desert, hiding in caves, and depending on the whims of Israelites for kindness in providing even food. I can imagine that David must have wondered at the stark contrast between what God had promised and the evidence of what he had received. In a moment of sharp distress he cries out to his God, telling God of his deep hurt and need.

It is exactly at points like that where God hears my prayer. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. I think it is at the point of my deep need, when I cry from the emptiness of my soul for the filling of God’s goodness that I can know, as David knew, that my God hears me and will answer. In spite of the evidences of my eyes!

E. M. Bounds, a man known by his deep prayer life, said it this way: “Only God can move mountains, but faith and prayer move God.” David knows God hears his weeping. He confidently states, “The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer.” What a joy to know I can have the faith of David and like David, I can cry out to my God knowing that He hears my supplications and prayers. With confidence I can leave Him to move the mountains!

All too often I am the fool who cannot find time to spend with his God. I fall into slovenly habits, and become ineffectual in my prayers. A. W. Tozer explains this attitude: “Complacency is a deadly foe of all spiritual growth. Acute desire must be present or there will be no manifestation of Christ to His people.” It is true, at least from my perspective, that God moves mightily when my needs are the greatest, when I am driven to my knees by my convictions of my utter destitute condition. My foolish heart! Do I not know that I am but feeble and destitute all the time? Open my heart to you, O God, that seeing you, I may see and know my utter, compelling, and deep need, and pray more strongly.

No comments: